Sweet Sour Lemon Pickle Recipe – Sweet sour lemon pickle is said to be the most popular of all the pickles and has been going on since years and ages. It takes almost months to be prepared but it feels best when we take the first bite of it with our meals. All you need to make the sweet sour lemon pickle is the right proportion of lemons, salt, lemon juice, little of other spices and adequate sunlight for the pickle to be prepared properly. Let’s check as to how is it being prepared and as to how does it taste. Make one at home and let your family members taste it and give the feedback that you require.
Serves: Fills up one medium sized bottle
- 11-12 lemons (approx. 500 grams of lemons)
- 100 grams of salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 cups of sugar (approx. 500 grams of sugar)
- 1 and ½ cups of grated jaggery
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
How is the sweet sour lemon pickle being prepared at home?
- Before starting making the pickle, make sure that you clean the lemons. Add the lemons in a bowl and 2-3 cups of water and let the lemons be soaked for 2-3 minutes. This ensures that the lemons get cleaned and that they are clear from the impurities. Once the lemons are being washed, scatter and dry the lemons on a piece of cloth.
- Next is to squeeze out the juice of 5-6 lemons and collect it in a small bowl. Collect almost half cup of the lemon juice. Then, cut the remaining lemons and the lemon skins into quarters and keep it aside.
- On the other hand, take a clean and sterilized bottle and add in the lemon quarters and the squeezed out lemon skins and thereon add the lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder and pour the mixture over the lemons.
- Next is to press the lemons in the jar such that the lemons get totally covered with the lemon juice.
- Cover the bottle with the lid once the lemons and lemon juice is being added and keep it aside under the sun for almost 10 days or until the lemons turn tender. Ensure that you shake the bottle on regular basis such that all the ingredients get totally mixed well with each.
- Thereon, add the sugar and jiggery in the bottle and shake the bottle again such that the sugar and jiggery mixes well with the contents of the bottle and that they get the taste and flavor of it.
- Again leave the bottle containing the contents along with the sugar and jiggery for 8-10 days such that the sugar and jiggery dissolves properly. Shake the bottle on regular basis to ensure that they are well mixed.
- Add the chili powder and mix the contents of the bottle once again and the pickle is almost ready to be served. Ensure that they are properly mixed to have a uniform taste throughout the bottle.
- Serve it along with your meals and enjoy the pickle.