Sweet Turnip and Carrot Pickle Recipe – Vegetables are not only used for the purpose of having the vegetable gravy at our dinner tables but also for the spicy and tangy pickles that we have along with our meals. They are being tossed into spices and sugar and lemon juices and made tangier and spicier and that is why we love them in the form of pickle rather than vegetables by themselves. Let’s check as to how the sweet turnip and carrot pickle is being prepared and as to how is it being cooked. Make one at your homes and surprise your family members.
Serves: Fills up one medium sized bottle
- 2 and ½ kg of turnip (Shalgam) and carrots (Gajar)
- 75 grams of red chili powder
- 120 grams of ground mustard seeds
- 15 grams of ground white cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 60 grams of dry dates
- 60 grams of tamarind
- 30 grams of ginger
- 90 grams of onion
- 30 grams of garlic
- 125 grams of salt or as per the requirement
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of vinegar
- 75 grams of jaggery
- 250 ml of mustard oil
How to prepare the sweet turnip and carrot pickle at home?
- While preparing anything at home, make sure that your clean all the ingredients and thereafter use them. Therefore, initially, take a bowl; add in the turnips and carrots along with 4-5 cups of water. Let them be soaked for few minutes and rinse them under the running water if required. This ensures that the vegetables are cleaned and that all the impurities are being removed.
- On the other hand, take two separate bowls and having water and soak tamarinds and dates in each of them and let them be stayed the same overnight.
- Next day, mash and take the pulp of the tamarind and add it into another bowl. And the other side cut the dates into long slices and make sure that you remove the stones from between.
- Now, take a pan and put it over the flame, add in the oil and let it be heated. Fry the ground onion, ginger and garlic and stir the, fry them until golden brown and thereon add the tamarind pulp and the slices of the dates, round pieces of turnips, long pieces of carrots, ground spices, cumin seeds, and red chili powder. Mix all the ingredients well with each other such that it becomes a single mixture and have the same flavor and taste throughout the mixture.
- Once the mixture is ready, turn of the flame and remove the pan from the stove and then add the mixture in a clean and sterilized bottle.
- Place the bottle under the sun for 4-5 days and ensure that you shake it on regular basis.
- On the other hand, make thick syrup of the jaggrey and water and pour it into the bottle and keep the bottle again under the sun for the next 6 days. The pickle will be ready after 10 days.
- You can serve the pickle on your dining tables and enjoy it with your meals.