A pulse oximeter is a device that can be used to perfectly monitor the heart rate, blood flow, and oxygen saturation levels from the comfort of your home (Important oximeter uses). Along with its use for medical purposes, pulse oximeters are also used by mountain climbers, pilots, and athletes. Pulse oximeters are now rapidly becoming a staple for every household. In this regard, we have prepared this article in which we will discuss the 10 best oximeters for home use in India along with a comprehensive buyer’s guide which will help you understand the different factors you need to consider before buying a pulse oximeter for your home use.
A Buyer’s Guide-Top 10 best pulse oximeters for home use
Before we understand the factors, which need to be considered, we will shed some light on how the pulse oximeters work?
How do Pulse Oximeters work?
Oximeters work on the simple function of measuring the light absorption in the blood. There is a difference in the amount of light absorbed by oxygenated and deoxygenated blood. The oximeter basically measures the change in light absorption and returns the data as a readable quantity on the digital screen. The difference in the light absorption values gives an idea of the SpO2 levels in the blood.
One end of the oximeter emits light and the other end detects the light. The oximeter is an extremely useful tool that helps you measure the SpO2 levels of blood non-invasively (oximeter uses).
Types of Oximeters
Currently, there are three types of oximeters available in the market
Finger Pulse Oximeter
These types of oximeters are very compact and you can mount it very easily on the tip of any of your fingers (fingertip pulse oximeter). They are highly portable and you can rapidly measure the SpO2 levels on the go. The screen is attached to the oximeter and you can easily see the accurate readings. These types of oximeters are easily available and quite affordable and have therefore become quite common at home and in hospitals.
These types of oximeters are essentially used by hospitals and other medical institutes. These types of oximeters are sophisticated and the screen is in the form of a handheld device. Handheld oximeters can measure heart rate, SpO2 levels as well as other factors that help in making an accurate diagnosis of the patient. The clip to be attached is versatile and can be attached to the toes as well.
Paediatric Pulse Oximeter
Another name for these types of oximeters is Fetal Pulse oximeter. The main function of these types of oximeters is to measure the SpO2 levels of the child. These types of oximeters do not have a finger clamp. Instead, they have a probe that needs to be touched to the head of the baby to get the readings. These oximeters can be used to check the vitals for an unborn baby too by inserting the probe into the birth canal to get the readings.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Oximeter
Pulse Oximeters are essential devices that check your oxygen saturation levels, blood flow, and heart rate and are therefore necessary to be accurate (pulse meter uses). To this measure, it is necessary that you go through the factors discussed below before you make your choice.
One of the most important things you need to consider before purchasing is the device’s accuracy. Usually, most of the pulse oximeters deliver reading with an accuracy level of ±2% of the actual blood oxygen saturation levels. This degree of precision is ideal for analyzing the trend. The accuracy levels enable you to see whether your SpO2 levels are within the normal range or range.
Along with this, it is advisable to purchase oximeters from a reputed brand as these brands are known for their accuracy.
Make sure to purchase a pulse oximeter that perfectly fits your finger or else it will show inaccurate readings. So how do you decide which oximeter is right for your fingers?
The recent oximeters come with an adjustable spring system that allows you to adjust the pulse oximeter as per your finger size. The models with this type of design can fit a wide range of finger sizes and can be used for children and adults easily.
If you are searching for an oximeter for your family, you should go for an adjustable model. However, if you are looking to buy an oximeter for your children, it is better to select an oximeter that is made for pediatric purposes.
Display Size and readability
Since the device is quite small, care should be taken that the numbers on the display are legible. The pulse oximeter’s display size determines how clearly you can see the readings. Furthermore, it is advisable to choose an oximeter with a backlit display. Many models are available which have different backlights and color combos. You can select a backlit color combination that enables you to see the readings clearly. Some oximeters allow the brightness levels to be changes as per your viewing preferences.
Ideally, most pulse oximeters come with three warning systems which you need to check
- Irregular heartbeat – If your heartbeat is irregular and not constant or if you are having arrhythmia of the heart, the pulse oximeter will generate a sound or alarm to notify you of the situation.
- Low SpO2 – Even if you can see the levels of SpO2 on the screen, it is still better to have a pulse oximeter that sounds an alarm in the form of a beep or a buzzer if your SpO2 levels are lower than the normal levels.
- Low Battery – For the patients or individuals who rely on the oximeters for managing their health, an oximeter with a low battery indicator is the most ideal purchase. This indicator will enable you replace the batteries within time to ensure that the device keeps working perfectly.
Nowadays, the current models of oximeters take only 10 seconds to show you the reading. Therefore, always chose an oximeter that provides fast readings.
Another important factor you need to consider when buying a pulse oximeter is the device’s durability. A durable device prevents damage to the unit which further enables the device to show accurate readings.
A durable oximeter is one that is waterproof and built to work in any kind of condition. Furthermore, they are also resistant to humid conditions.
Certain oximeters come with removable silicon covers which guard the device against scratches or damage. Certain oximeters are made of ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) plastic which makes them more durable than other models.
These are the type of oximeters which gets automatically activated as soon as you place the clip on the finger or toe. This feature helps in measuring your vitals on the go and is very handy.
Ease of use
Oximeters for home use should be easy to use without any prior technical knowledge and would not need any assistance for home use. Oximeters are relatively easy to use. All you have to do is clip it onto the finger and wait for a few seconds before the readings are displayed on the screen of the device.
If you need to monitor your SpO2 levels constantly, you will need to carry your oximeter with you at all times. As such, the oximeters need to be portable and compact enough to be carried with you in person like in your pocket or in your handbag. All the oximeters that we review in this article are portable in nature and can be easily carried around with you.
Most oximeters have a size of 2 inches in length and 1 inch in width. However, if you carry it in your pocket, there is a chance that it might get turned on accidentally. To prevent that it is always better to have a lanyard attached to the oximeter so that you can carry it around your neck.
To get the best accuracy from an oximeter, it is advisable to purchase a device from a reputable and popular brand. As such depending upon the brand, the price of oximeters can vary between Rs. 2000-5000. Costlier models have some more features to ease the readability of the results.
Another factor to consider is the warranty and the return policy of the company or brand whose model you have bought. If the company provides a warranty on the product along with easy return policies, then it is a sign that the product is trustworthy.
Even if these extra features have no direct impact on the performance of the device, these features work to make the device more user-friendly. Some of the interesting extra features that you can check for are
- Automatic battery preservation mode (Auto Shut-off) – this feature ensures that the oximeter gets shut off automatically when it has not been used for a certain amount of time. This feature helps preserve the battery subsequently increasing the battery life of the device.
- History save feature – This feature makes the oximeter store the previous readings of your oximeter. With this feature, you can access your previous readings to compare with your current readings which will further enable you to monitor or keep tabs of your health.
Now that you have an idea of what to look for when you are buying an oximeter, to give you an idea of which pulse oximeters to buy, we have
Top 10 best Pulse Oximeters for home use in India
As we have already gone through the buyer’s guide, in this section we have listed out some of the best pulse oximeters along with their features to select from at different price ranges.
4.3 out of 5, 3200+ reviews
To feature first on the list is this high quality, respiration, and SpO2 levels measuring, water-resistant Oximeter from Dr. Trust (pulse oximeter uses). Dr. Trust is a reputed brand and one of the best pulse oximeter brands in India at the moment. Dr. Trust is known to produce some of the best pulse oximeters in India and this model fits the bill perfectly. Let’s take a look at its features
- This pulse oximeter from Dr Trust is one of the best oximeters in India and has been certified and approved by the US FDA and European Conformity for home use.
- This is one of the best pulse oximeters in India which not only measures the blood SpO2 levels but also the heart pulse rate of the body (pulse oximeter uses).
- This is one of the best oximeters in India as it has an IP22 index which makes it water-resistant. The water-resistant property of the device makes it an ideal pulse oximeter to buy not only for clumsy and normal individuals but also for swimmers and athletes.
- There are two AAA batteries included in the package which makes the device run. The capacity of the device to monitor and sense the pulse and heartbeat of the users is unparalleled (best pulse oximeters). The perfusion index, which is the ability to sense even the slightest of pulses, of this pulse oximeter is 0.2 as compared to the rating of 0.6 for other devices (best pulse oxygen meters). This feature makes this model one of the best pulse oximeters to not only measure the SpO2 levels but also the pulse with a lot of accuracies.
- Another notable feature of this device is that it can be used to measure the respiratory rate of a person. It means that this device can measure that rate of a person’s breathing and the number that is returned can be used to understand the health of the person’s lungs (pulse oximeter uses).
- Another feature that makes it one of the best pulse oxygen meters in India is that it is anti-motion in nature which makes it ideal for rough handling. Furthermore, this device is also omnidirectional, which means that you can use the device in every direction and it will still work (fingertip pulse oximeter).
- This device also has an alarm function that sounds alerts when the battery level is low and if the SpO2 levels are way off than the normal standards (best pulse oximeter).
- Can measure SPO2 levels, heart pulse rate and respiration rate (pulse oximeter uses).
- Display is large and clear
- Anti-motion and omni-directional operation.
- USFDA and CDE approved.
- 1-year warranty
- Durability could have been increased
- The user manual could have been easier to understand.
For current pricing and exciting offers, click on the link below
4.5 out of 5, 560+ reviews
Newnik is one of the best pulse oximeter brands in India and the model PX701 is also considered to be one the best pulse oximeters in India (fingertip oximeter) which can be used both by adults and children (pulse oximeters for babies). Here is a look at its features.
- This fingertip oximeter is used to check the SPO2 levels and the pulse rate from people with respiratory conditions as well as athletes (pulse oximeter uses).
- This model is available in two colors – light blue and royal blue. The OLED screen is two-color and is also water-resistant along with 4 rotating vies for display. (fingertip oximeter)
- This device (best pulse oximeter) also comes with a pre-set buzzer alarm along with a modern plethysmograph waveform technology that is capable of accurately measuring the strength of your pulse (oximeter uses).
- This fingertip oximeter comes with added features like low battery level indicator, automatic on/off feature, and easy battery replacement feature making it a value for money purchase (best pulse oximeters to buy). So, every time your SpO2/ pulse rate levels fall below the standard levels, this fingertip oximeter will inform you with a beep and blinking lights which will enable you to take precautions in time.
- This device has been designed to exceed the US FDA and CE standards and is, therefore, one of the best oximeters in India.
- This device from one of the best oximeter brands in India comes equipped with two AAA batteries for operation along with a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase.
- Pre-set buzzer alarm and blinking lights for abnormal readings
- Water-resistant 2 color OLED screen with 4 rotating views
- Latest plethysmograph waveform technology for accurate pulse rate reading.
- Suitable for adults and babies both (best pulse oximeter for babies).
- Exceeds international quality standards (FDA and CE)
- 1-year warranty
- Alarm sound could have been louder
- Suitable only for a spot reading.
For current pricing and offers, click on the link below
4.1 out of 5, 41+ reviews
Choicemmed (the best oximeter brand in India) is well known for its plethora of medical and health care products and it is also one of the best oximeter brands in India. Choicemmed oximeters are some of the best pulse oximeters in India and are value for money (best pulse oximeters to buy). This fingertip oximeter model from Choicemmed is one of the best pulse oximeters in India and is a pulse oximeter to buy if you are looking for something which is accurate and compact. Here are its features
- The MD300C2 is compact and durable, requiring less maintenance and is, therefore, one of the best oximeters to buy.
- The device comes equipped with super-fast sensors that provide reading within seconds of putting it on your finger (fingertip pulse oximeter).
- The device is capable of accurately measuring your blood oxygen saturation levels (best pulse oxygen meters) along with your heart rate. It displays the reading on the screen in the form of bar form and waveform owing to an inbuilt plethysmograph which makes it much easier for you to view your stats (oximeters to buy).
- If you are looking for a fingertip pulse oximeter for home use this is the best oximeter for the purpose (oximeter to buy). This oximeter is especially suited to monitor patients with oxygenation problems and it helps you to accurately measure the SpO2 levels in a matter of a few seconds so that you can take proper medication or precautions in the correct time (best pulse oximeters). `
- The OLED display is of high-quality dual color with 8 brightness settings allowing you to set the brightness as per your preference to make the readings more legible and easier to understand. Furthermore, you can rotate the display at an angle that is much more convenient for you to see (best pulse oximeter in India).
- The dual color display has a yellow color for showing the stat attributes and a blue color for showing the measurements and numbers making it easier for you to understand the data (fingertip pulse oximeter).
- Additional features offered by Choicemmed (best oximeter brand) in this fingertip pulse oximeter are a long battery life and an auto shut off feature. Even if it uses 2 AAA batteries, this device boasts of a good backup which can work for 30 hours without the need to change the batteries (best pulse oxygen meter).
- Dual-colour OLED display with rotation feature
- Ease of use
- Auto shutoff feature
- Low battery indicator
- Device does not have water resistant ratings.
For the current pricing, click on the link below
4.0 out of 5, 400+ reviews
Medtech is one the best oximeter brand which provides this Pulse Oximeter Oxygard OG1 which is quite affordable and a must-have for home use (oximeters to buy). Let’s take a look at its features
- This fingertip oximeter is lightweight and has a compact design making it easier to carry on the person.
- This compact fingertip oximeter is capable of measuring your Oxygen saturation levels, your heart rate or pulse rate, and your pulse strength (oximeter uses). Coupled with an affordable pulse oximeter price range, this is a perfect buy for your everyday use at home (oximeters to buy).
- In terms of build quality, the outer body is well crafted giving the sense of a premium build and the sensors inside are capable of returning your results within a few seconds (best pulse oxygen meter).
- The OLED display has a dual-color panel that displays your stats in a well-organized format making it easier for you to monitor the data (oximeters to buy).
- It has an auto shut off feature which helps preserve the battery and increase longevity as well. The device also comes with a battery indicator on the screen which can give you an idea of when to change the battery (best pulse oximeter).
- Low power consumption
- Auto power shut off function
- Dual color OLED display
- Measurements are quick and accurate
- Lightweight and compact
- Pulse oximeter price falls in the affordable range
- Not ideal for hikers or other athletes
For current pricing click on the link below
BPL Medical Technologies BPL Smart Oxy Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter (Black) -Best affordable fingertip pulse oximeter
4.0 out of 5, 240+ reviews
BPL is a brand that is well known for manufacturing medical and health equipment is one of the best oximeter brands in India. This fingertip pulse oximeter from BPL is one of the best pulse oximeters in India and is perfectly suited for your home use (oximeters to buy). Here are its features
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is one of the best pulse oximeters in India as it comes with FDA and CE approval (oximeters to buy).
- This fingertip pulse oximeter provides readings of the respiratory index, SpO2 levels, pulse rate, and pulse strength (oximeter uses).
- The pulse oximeter price range is quite affordable and at this pulse oximeter price, you get multiple added features like water-resistant rating, lanyard cable included in the package, good battery life with the auto power-off feature.
- This best pulse oxygen meter provides you a one-button click feature with which you can monitor your continuously changing pulse rates and it also returns the perfusion index which is extremely sensitive in measuring even the tiniest pulses (pulse oximeter price).
- The build quality is quite rugged make it extremely durable and ideal for rough use.
- This device returns the respiratory index which will give you an idea of your stamina by measuring the strength of the lungs (best pulse oximeter).
- Auto power-off feature
- Compact and solid build
- Water resistant rating
- Amazing battery life
- Quick and continuous monitoring feature
- This device does not come with any alarms.
For current pricing and offers, click on the link below
4.6 out of 5, 7620+ reviews
Santamedical is one of the best oximeter brands in the market currently and this Fingertip pulse oximeter is one of the best pulse oxygen meters in the market currently. This fingertip pulse oximeter price falls in the affordable range making it a must-buy for home use. Let’s take a look at its features
- This is a compact and sturdy fingertip oximeter which is quite easy to use making it the best pulse oximeter for home use.
- It can be used to measure the SpO2 levels and also the heart rate accurately and within seconds (oximeter uses). With a recent upgrade, this device provides quick readings as well.
- The OLED display is bright and is also rotatable which makes it very easy for you to view your data. Furthermore, the data is represented in the form of a graph on the dual-color OLED display.
- This device also comes with a battery level indicator and an auto power-off feature which further helps you to preserve your battery when not in use.
- Build quality is good and compact in design
- Battery level indicator
- Auto power off feature
- 1-year warranty on the device
- Does not come with a water-resistant rating
For current pricing click on the link below
4.1 out of 5, 180+ reviews
When it comes to medical and health equipment, Dr. Morepen is a well know brand (best pulse oximeter brand). Dr. Morepen is also known for manufacturing fingertip pulse oximeters. This PO04 fingertip pulse oximeter (pulse oximeter for babies) from Dr. Morepen (best pulse oximeter brand) is one of the best pulse oxygen meters in India and a must-buy for home use (oximeters to buy). Let’s take a look at its features
- This compact fingertip pulse oximeter is of great quality and is also quite affordable making it ideal for home use (pulse oximeter price).
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is adept at measuring SpO2 levels along with your heart rate (oximeter uses).
- All the information about your stats is legible on a dual-color LED display which also provides you with a fast reading feature. The display comes in six modes and you can choose them according to your preference and ease of monitoring (oximeter to buy).
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is ideal for both adults and babies (best pulse oximeter for babies).
- It is powered by 2 AAA batteries. The device comes with auto switch-off feature which further conserves battery and increases battery life. Also, the display comes with a battery level indicator that informs you of the battery level.
- This device is also equipped with an alarm that indicates you about abnormal SpO2 levels and heart rate (best pulse oxygen meters).
- Dual color OLED display
- Auto switch-off feature for increased battery life
- In-built alarm for battery level and abnormal SpO2 levels and abnormal heart rate
- 1-year warranty
- Device does not come with lanyard included.
For the current pricing click on the link below
4.0 out of 5, 116+ reviews
Healthseanse is one of the best oximeter brands in India with some of the best fingertip oximeter models currently in the market. The HealthSense Accu-Beat FP 900 Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter is one of the best pulse oximeters in India and is a must-buy for your home (oximeters to buy). Here are its features
- The selling point of this fingertip pulse oximeter is its simplicity. It comes in a simple design with a red LED display which is quite attractive (oximeters to buy).
- This oximeter is very fast and returns results in under 8 seconds. Furthermore, the anti-motion feature ensures stable readings during movement as well. Hence this is best for adults and babies (best pulse oximeters for babies).
- This device can accurately measure your SpO2 levels as well as your heart rate (oximeter uses).
- One of the most helpful features of this fingertip oximeter is that the finger chamber is hypoallergenic which makes it quite safe for sensitive patients (best pulse oxygen meters).
- This oximeter is capable of measuring SpO2 levels between 70% to 100% and the pulse rate range of 25 bpm to 250 bpm.
- Simple and attractive design
- Battery saver with auto switch-off feature
- Anti-motion technology
- Hypoallergenic finger chamber
- 1-year warranty
- Water resistant ratings not given.
To know about the current pricing click on the link below
4.3 out of 5, 3200+ reviews
Another company that deserves mention in this list is AccuMed which is well known for making some of the best health and medical equipment (best pulse oximeter brand). The CMS-50DL fingertip pulse oximeter from AccuMed is one of the best pulse oximeters in the market currently and is reputed for its speed, accuracy, and portability. Let’s take a look at its features
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is used to measure the SpO2 levels and the heart rate quite easily (oximeter uses).
- This is suitable for use by both adults and children (best pulse oximeters for babies)
- The dual-color OLED display has an auto-brightness setting that works in the same way as the auto-brightness feature on your smartphone. This means that the display automatically changes the brightness as per the ambient light to give you better readability in any lighting condition.
- The device is powered by two AAA batteries. Even though it has an auto power shut off function, the device can only provide a continuous use of 24 hrs.
- The biggest selling point of this device is its portability. Owing to its lightweight and compact design, it is very easy to carry it around with you at all times (oximeters to buy).
- High accuracy
- Portable and lightweight
- Auto-brightness setting
- Not very power efficient
- Cannot be used while in motion
For current pricing click on the link below
Innovo Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index -Top 10 best pulse oximeters for home use
4.8 out of 5, 1500+ reviews
Last on this list is one of the best fingertip pulse oximeters in India from the company Innovo (best pulse oximeter brand). The Innovo Deluxe fingertip pulse oximeter is fast, compact, accurate, and portable. With the pulse oximeter price being affordable, it is indeed the best fingertip pulse oximeter to buy (pulse oximeter price). Let’s take a look at its features
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is accurate and reliable which accurately determines your SpO2 levels, pulse rate, and pulse strength with a few seconds (oximeter to buy).
- The OLED display is quite large and with dual-color which makes the results legible and easily readable. The display also comes with six multi-directional display choices
- This device has a plethysmograph and a perfusion index which accurately returns your SpO2 levels and heart rate and displays it on the screen in the form of waves for a better understanding of the stats. The perfusion index lets you measure even the tiniest of pulses always (oximeter uses).
- This fingertip pulse oximeter is suited for both adults and children (best pulse oximeter for babies).
- This fingertip pulse oximeter comes equipped with alarms that notify you about abnormal SpO2 levels and irregular heart rate. Furthermore, this oximeter provides auditory beeps for every pulse measured (oximeters to buy).
- This device also comes with an adjustable brightness feature (pulse oximeter price).
- High accuracy
- Suited for children and adults (best pulse oximeter for babies)
- Auto brightness and auto power shut off feature with an alarm system
- Water-resistant ratings not given
- No anti-motion setting
- It is a bit on the expensive side
For current pricing click on the link below
From this list, we hope you have an idea of the factors to consider when choosing a pulse oximeter and which are the best pulse oximeters in the market currently aptly suited for home use.
Frequently Asked Questions –Top 10 best pulse oximeters for home use
With the COVID19 pandemic raging in the current times, the pulse oximeter has gained popularity for its potential in diagnosing and monitoring COVID19 symptoms. The pulse oximeter is compact and can be clipped onto the finger to measure the pulse and the blood oxygen saturation levels. In the fight against COVID19, pulse oximeters are being used to monitor patients in hospitals, with patients recovering from surgeries, and for monitoring people with respiratory issues. As per the medical professionals, this device helps the healthcare provider decide whether the patient needs more oxygen. The oximeter is best suited for the early detection of symptoms of COVID19.
Pulse oximeters measure the blood oxygen saturation and heart rate by shining light from the device through the skin to detect the color and movement of your blood cells. Blood cells having a sufficient amount of oxygen are bright red in color while others are dark red. The pulse oximeter compares the number of bright red cells to the number of dark red cells and returns the calculated oxygen saturation levels as a percentage. If the reading says 90%, it means that 10% of the blood cells have been oxygen-depleted.
As per medical professionals, normal blood oxygen saturation levels of a normal healthy individual are between 95 to 100%. If the level falls below 95%, it means that the individual is suffering from a lung problem.
While pulse oximeters have a spring type of design that can be made to accommodate any type of finger, to get the best readings for SpO2 levels and heart, the index finger or the middle finger of the dominant hand should be used to clamp the pulse oximeter for the best results.
Readings from pulse oximeters are reasonably accurate. Most oximeters provide a reading of 2% over or 2% under the normal saturation levels which you would have obtained by an arterial blood gas test.
For a normal individual, the SpO2 levels on a pulse oximeter should be within the range of 94% to 99%. As for the heart rate, a normal reading on the pulse oximeter would be in the range of 60 to 100 bpm.
Today, the need for a blood oximeter in a house has become a necessity due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Even the experts are asking to monitor the oxygen level of your blood on a regular basis as a precautionary measure. So, our team has decided to research in detail the best oximeters for home use. In our article “Top 10 best pulse oximeters for home use” we have listed out some of the best pulse oxygen meters along with the buyer’s guide to help you out to stay cautious and protected.
In case you want to share your thoughts or have any queries, feel free to post them in the comment section below. Till then…
Stay safe, stay informed
Do check our other trending posts
Only use the below comment form to ask your queries & share your experience. We may take a day or two to reply to your comments and queries. Please don’t use the comment section for backlinks as it will not be approved. However, for the backlink, partnership and advertisement related queries kindly contact us at [email protected]
Thanks for your coordination & support!