Last updated on July 27th, 2020 at 09:07 am
Binoculars are of different types suiting different uses. A single type of binocular does not serve all purposes. Hence, to choose what kind of binocular you want, you need to know for what purpose you intend to use the binocular for. To help you with your choice we have prepared this article with the idea of giving you important insight into the top 8 best binoculars in India along with a comprehensive buyer’s guide.
In this article, we will look at the construction of binoculars and also the multiples uses of binoculars of different types. Understanding the binoculars construction will give you an idea of how different construction makes for different uses of binoculars and the factors you will need to consider before purchasing the best binocular in India for your specific purpose.
Therefore, let’s look at the basics of binoculars and the extensive buyer’s guide before going into the review of top 8 best binoculars of India.
Binoculars construction basics
In this section, we will look at the basics of binoculars construction. In simpler terms, binoculars are equipment composed of a series of lenses, certain elements and prisms to increase magnification enabling the human eye to see farther objects which is beyond the scope of what the normal eye can see. The use of two parallel optical tubes enables you to keep both your eyes open when using which is much more comfortable than when using a telescope where one eye always needs to remain closed.
If you have been browsing binoculars, you might have seen that certain designs are slim and some that are quite bulky. The construction of binoculars is such due to the type of prism being used. Prisms are used in the construction of binoculars to correct the image orientation both horizontally and vertically for natural image reconstruction. Without a prism, all the images would look upside down and flopped. Depending on the type of prism being used, binoculars construction is roof and Porro types. In roof type of construction of binoculars, the glass elements are arranged in line with one another which make the roof type of binoculars construction more streamlined. In Porro type of binoculars construction, the glass elements are arranged in offset from each other which provides more depth of field with a wide field of view as compared roof type models.
With fairly a basic idea about the binocular’s construction, we shall now delve deeper into the specifications of binoculars that you need to consider before choosing for the best one.
Internal binocular construction of binocular construction
Let us take a look at the major factors that form the basics of construction of binoculars which you need to consider understanding how they work and determine the uses of the binoculars which you have decided to buy.
Top 8 Best Binoculars in India- A buyer’s guide
They are also called the objectives and as you might have guessed, they are the eyes. The objective lenses of the binoculars are the lenses that capture light from the object in view. It consists of two glass components attached together by glue.
In technical terms, it is a compound lens which minuses image distortion. The light passes through the objective lens and then through the prism arrangement to produce an upright image for you to view.
The size of the objective lens determines the amount of light that enters the binoculars. This means, larger the objective lens, more light enters the binoculars. This property increases the distance of the object that you want to observe. For example, binoculars with 50mm are called astronomy binoculars and can be used to observe planetary bodies quite distinctly.
However, large objective lens also increases the bulkiness of the binoculars. Therefore, your choice of the binocular with a desired aperture will depend on the uses of the binocular you intend to purchase.
Magnification is the measure of how close the image you are viewing appears to be for your eyes. To make it simpler, a binocular construction with 10x magnification will make the object appear 10 times closer than it appears to the naked human eye.
Construction of binoculars ensures you get a magnification in the range of 7x to 10x. Anything more than 10x is undesirable for everyday use and would require a tripod for support for reasons like
- Since the amount of light reaching the eye with increasing magnification, distant objects will appear darker at higher magnification.
- There is a drastic decrease in field of view with increasing magnification and
- Increase in binoculars’ magnification power increases the sensitivity of the equipment. Hence, any slight movement like breathing while using the binoculars will produce distorted images.
Binoculars are usually denoted by numbers like 10×42 or 7×20 which denotes the magnification and the objective lens diameter respectively.
Therefore, depending upon the distance of the object you want to view, a binocular with an appropriate magnification needs to be chosen. For example, for sports fans, using a binocular construction of 7x magnification will be sufficient for catching all the action in the stadium.
Eye relief & Exit pupil
Another important factor to consider is the diameter of the exit pupil of the binocular. Generally, the exit pupil diameter is calculated by dividing the objective lens diameter by the magnification power. Therefore, for an 8×50 binocular, the exit pupil size is determined by dividing 50 by 8 which return 6.2. This is therefore the size of the exit pupil of the binocular.
Another important factor in the construction of binoculars is that the exit pupil size should be the same size as the entrance pupil of the eye. As the size of the pupil changes with the amount of light entering, it also changes with the age of the individual. Hence for a teenager, the pupil can have a size of 8mm, whereas for a 50-year-old adult, it can have a size of 4mm (approx.).
Construction of binoculars is done taking this into consideration. Hence, for a pupil size of 5 mm, binoculars with numbers 7×35 or 7x 50 are ideal.
Finally, for individuals with glasses, they should choose a binocular with long eye relief feature for comfortable use.
Field of view
Field of view or FoV is the amount of the scene in front of you that you can see clearly through your binoculars. It is usually represented in degrees or as length at 1000 yards.
FoV usually ranges within 12 to 10 degrees and depends on the binocular’s construction.
As discussed before, several factors like objective lens size, Prism or roof type of binocular construction and the power of the magnification determines how heavy your binocular will be. This becomes a factor depending on how you intend to use your binocular. Therefore, if you are accustomed to carrying heavy items or willing to use your binocular with a tripod, then a heavier binocular would be no problem for you.
However, if you are looking for binoculars which are easier to carry around and use with your bare hands without any effort, then lightweight and compact binoculars are best.
Weather resistant, Waterproof, Fog Proof
Ratings on a binocular will determine in what weather or optical conditions your binocular can be used. The ratings can be broadly classified as
- No rating – Binoculars with no rating are not weatherproof and should not be used in rain or at sea as moisture can get inside and cause lens fogging. Fogging impedes a clear view resulting in rust and corrosion.
- Weather-resistant – Binoculars with weather-resistant rating will have seals called O-rings or gaskets which prevents which prevents moisture ranging from general humidity or light mist from entering your binoculars. A weather-resistant binocular is best suited for use in moist weather conditions.
- Water Proof – Even though these binoculars are sealed with O-rings, there is a chance of fogging up. Depending on the binocular construction, some waterproof models from certain companies can be submerged underwater to limited depths for a certain amount of time.
- Fog Proof – When the moisture enters the optical tube containing air, it condenses on the lens causing fogging. Fog proof binoculars have inert gases like argon or nitrogen or a combination of the two in them to prevent fogging. The inert gases are dry and prevent moisture deposition inside the binocular.
Now that we have covered the basics of binocular construction, we will now look at the top 8 best binoculars in India
Top 8 best binoculars in India – Reviews
Until now we have seen the basic construction of the binoculars and some quick buying tips which include factors you should keep in mind while going to buy your top 8 best binoculars in India. After this section we have also tried to answer some of the frequently asked questions we came across while researching on the topic.
Celestron Skymaster 20×80 (Elite) – premium astronomy binoculars
Celestron is one of the best binoculars brand and the models of binoculars are the best in construction fulfilling various uses of binoculars. This model from Celestron is a premium model for astronomy and comes with these features
- It has a Porro type of binocular construction which makes it one the best binoculars with great FoV and depth of view.
- It has an Aperture size of 80mm with a magnification of 20x making it a beast of equipment and a dream buy for astronomers.
- Owing to an 80 mm aperture, more light from extremely distant regions of low light can be perceived by this binocular making it one of the best binoculars for night vision
- The field of view is 3.7 inch and it is excellent for eyeglasses wearers as well making it ideal for stargazing for hours at an end
- Furthermore, it has a waterproof and fog-proof rating which makes it ideal for outdoor use.
- With an aperture of 80mm along with clear views of nebulas, star clusters, and planets, this is an ideal tool for bird watching as well. This model is one of the best binoculars for bird watching in India with the 80 mm aperture and 20x magnification letting you have a closer and out of this world detailed look at all kinds of birds
- Very powerful magnification and aperture size ideal for astronomy as well best binocular for bird watching as well
- It has waterproof and fog proof rating
- Ideal for eyeglass wearers
- Excellent value for money
- It’s a big and heavy binocular weighing 2 kilograms
- Tripod is needed for support.
For current pricing, click on the link below
Celestron Skymaster 15×70 – best binoculars for astronomy in India
The second entry the best binocular brand Celestron is this excellent binocular which is a treat for astronomers and star gazers. Here are its features
- This is one of the best binoculars in the market with a Porro prism Binoculars construction.
- It has an aperture of 70 mm with a magnification making it excellent for stargazers.
- Owing to a 70 mm aperture, more light from extremely distant regions of low light can be perceived by this binocular making it one of the best binoculars for night vision.
- Along with being the best binocular for night vision is an elite binocular with a Field of View of 230 ft at 100 yards making it ideal for space viewers as well as one of the best binoculars for bird watching as well.
- Along with waterproof and fog proof rating, it is indeed a value for money for astronomers and bird watchers (best binoculars for bird watching.
- Best binoculars for bird watching with aperture of 70mm
- 15x magnification
- Due to high aperture and magnification, it’s extremely sensitive to even the slightest movement rendering the image blurred.
For the current price and exciting discounts follow the link below.
Celestron Skymaster 12×60 – Best binoculars for long distance in India
With the third entry list making up the top three best premium binoculars in India, Celestron is indeed the best binoculars brand in India. This model is specifically built for best long distance uses. Here are its features
- This binocular construction follows the Porro prism type making it one of the best binoculars from the best binocular brand in India.
- It has an aperture size of 60 mm with a magnification of 12x. This means you get crystal clear images of long-distance objects like viewing birds from a distance in their natural habitat (best binocular for bird watching).
- It also has a rating of Waterproof and Fog proof and is ideal for eyeglass wearers as well
- 12x magnification with 60mm aperture makes it the best binoculars for bird watching in India.
- Value for money
- Water proof and fog proof rating.
- None whatsoever. This is indeed one of the best binoculars in India ideal for bird watching and for viewing long distance objects with crisp and clear detailing.
For current prices and exciting offers, click on the link below
Nikon ACULON A211-Best binoculars under 6000
Nikon is a premier brand when it comes to optical equipment and is also one of the best binocular brands in India. This is one of the best binoculars for bird watching in India and comes with lot of interesting features making it a value for money. Here are its features
- This model has 42 mm aperture size with 8x zoom making it ideal for bird watching (best binocular for bird watching in India).
- The zoom knob has a rubber grip preventing slip and precise focus control for zoom.
- The exterior is made of gripper material and the ergonomic design ensures that it’s easy to handle without any scope of slipping.
- The zoom knob is placed in the center between the two objective tubes easily accessible by the index finger.
- It also lightweight which means you can easily carry it around with you making it ideal for on the spot bird watching without a lot of preparations.
- 8x magnification with 42 mm aperture size. Best binocular for bird watching in India
- Ergonomic and grippier design
- Value for money
- Small Viewing angle
- Comparatively heavy, 1.3Kgs
- Tripod necessary, if you want to enjoy the extra zoom
For the current price and exciting offers check out the link below
GOR standard 20×50 – best long-distance binocular in India
GOR is one of the best binocular brands in India and this model is one of the best binoculars for long distance object viewing. Here are its features
- This model follows a Porro prism type of Binoculars construction for crisp and detailed image recreation for your viewing pleasure.
- It has a magnification of 20x with an aperture of 50mm. the 50mm aperture makes it one of the best binoculars for night vision. The 20x magnification ensures a very high standard of viewing long distance objects.
- GOR is one of the best binocular brands in India as this model form the company has been made with an Exit Pupil size of 2.5 mm. This means it’s perfectly suited for an average person for hours of use without developing any eye strain.
- Lightweight. Easy to carry around
- 20x magnification makes it the best binocular for bird watching in India.
- Waterproof and Fog-proof rating
- Value for money
- Average quality
For the current pricing check out the link below
Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular (5x) -Top 8 best binoculars in India
Night vision binoculars are an exceptional form of technical innovation in binoculars. A night vision binocular essentially works in two ways. In the image enhancement type of night vision binoculars, the optics work to enhance the ambient light making images easier to see. Even in the darkest of areas, there is some amount of light which may not be perceived by the naked eye like light in the infrared range. Image enhancer type night vision goggles capture any ambient light and the technology in the binocular amplifies the captured light to form the image. The second type is the thermal imaging type which has sensors to capture people in the dark based on their body heat.
Night Owl is one the best binoculars in India that provides some of the best binoculars with night vision and this model is one of the best binoculars this brand has to offer. Let’s take a look at its features.
- This model works on the image enhancer type of technology and is one of the best binoculars with night vision in India at the moment.
- It has 5x magnification with a 50mm aperture lens making it a powerful and best binocular with night vision for viewing objects at large distances at night.
- It has a built-in infrared illuminator which gives the user to observe any target in complete darkness
- The body is made of thermoplastic lens housing which is impact resistant for an unobstructed view
- FoV of 12.5 degrees with good depth of view
- In-built IR illuminator
- Impact-resistant thermoplastic lens housing
- It’s expensive
- Runs on battery to power IR illuminator
For recent pricing and exciting offers, click on the link below
Kurtzy 8×40 Multi-Coated – Best cheap binoculars
If you are looking for a cheap binocular with exceptional quality and features, Kurtzy is the best binocular brand which provides you with some of the best binoculars at cheap prices. This model from one of the best binocular brand Kurtzy is replete with features that rival premium models from other brands all at an affordable price making it excellent value for money. Here are its features
- It is a Porro prism type of Binocular construction.
- This model boasts of 40 mm aperture size with 8x magnification. Hence this is an excellent binocular for everyday use for individuals interested in regular bird watching activities.
- It is also quite lightweight and compact which means you can easily carry it with you wherever you go. Hence you are always prepared, whether it is bird watching or star gazing in a clean night.
- It has a FoV of 68m at 1000m making viewing of nature and the night sky a pleasure.
- It is also waterproof and fog-proof rated making it ideal for outdoor use in any weather.
- 40mm aperture with 8x zoom capacity. Ideal for everyday bird watching (best binoculars for bird watching in India)
- Value for money
- Comparatively Blur focus
- No manufacturer’s warranty, only 10 days amazon return policy
For the current pricing, click on this link below
Olympus Binocular 8-16×40 DPS I -Top 8 best binoculars in India
No list is complete without an entry from optical giants Olympus. Olympus is well known globally for its range of high-quality optical instruments and is one of the best binocular brands as well. Here are the features of this model
- This model follows a Porro prism type of Binocular construction concept.
- It has an aperture of 40mm which is complemented with 16x magnification capacity. This means, it is one of the best binoculars for night vision.
- Owing to its 16x zoom capacity, it is ideal for watching distant objects and is one of the best binoculars for bird watching as well
- It is lightweight and compact making it easy to carry around.
- UV protective lenses
- 8 to 16x adjustable magnification. Excellent for bird watching
- Lightweight and compact
- Mono-layer coating
- Real FOV is up to 5 degrees
- 10m minimum focusing distance
- The magnification adjustment is a challenge for some people.
To check for recent pricing, click on the link below
Now that we have covered the basics of the construction of binoculars with the factors to consider before choosing the binocular as per your use, we have also given an idea about the top 8 best binoculars in India currently taking the market by storm. So, follow the links of your best binocular and grab it to satisfy your curiosity of the unknown before it gets out of stock.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -Top 8 best binoculars in India
What magnification for binoculars is best?
Magnification of binoculars is the measure of how closer the far-off objects appear to you as compared to the naked eye. Binoculars usually come with magnifications within the range of 5x to 20x. Depending on the type of object you intend to observe, you can choose a binocular of the desired magnification. For example, for stargazing or looking at planetary bodies, a magnification of 10 to 20x is ideal. For viewing a sports match from the stadium 5x to 7x is perfect.
Which binoculars are the best?
Top quality binoculars like Celestron, Olympus, and Nikon with at least 10x magnification and 50mm aperture are best
What does 10×50 mean with binoculars?
This configuration denotes the magnification or the zoom level and the aperture lens size of the binocular. 10x corresponds to magnification. It means that objects will appear 10 times closer to you through the binocular than they would appear to you when viewed through naked eye. 50 means the Aperture size of the objective lens is 50mm.
What are the best binoculars for viewing wildlife?
Some of the best binoculars for viewing wildlife are reviewed above and occupy the top 4 positions in this review (Look Top 8 best binoculars in India section above)
What should I look for when buying binoculars?
The factors you need to consider when buying binoculars are
- Aperture size,
- Magnification level
- Exit pupil size and eye relief
- Weather ratings
The importance of these factors is discussed above in the Buyer’s Guide section.
Can you stargaze with binoculars?
Definitely! With 12×60 or higher binoculars and a tripod support you can easily stargaze with binoculars.
So, at last we are at the end of the article “Top 8 best binoculars in India”, In our article we have tried to share a large amount of information for every types of readers. If you want to explore about binoculars or if you are planning to just pick the best binoculars for various types of outdoor recreational activities. However, if you have any queries or share your experience related to any of the binocular models, do write below in the comment section. Our team will be glad to be a part of your discussion.
Happy Shopping, Stay Safe!!!
Do check our other trending articles from our authors